Culture of the internet
Since moving to Australia when I was 12 years old, and leaving most of my friends and family back in Singapore, using new communication technologies to communicate with them is not a new concept to me. However, I have seen some changes in the way I use these technologies over the years.
Back then, it was only the younger generation who knew how to operate computers or have access to the internet/email. These days, most of my aunts and uncles have email addresses too; some of them even occasionally jump on MSN for a chat. I remember the first time I used a webcam and was running on a 56k dial-up connection, I thought it was coolest thing in the world being able to see my grandparents back in Singapore (with the help of my cousin obviously), even though they appeared to be moving at a super slow speed and in freeze frames. It's amazing to think how much technology has advanced since then, with ADSL and cable internet connections, and video calling on mobile phones now.
Then of course there was the whole IRC era in my teenage years. It started off as just a chatroom for my friends back in Singapore and I to catch up on goss, then the idea of making new friends on the net became intriguing. I made a few internet buddies over the years whom I kept in contact with for a while. But as my personal/social life got more hectic, I started spending less time on the net and these friendships just eventually diminished. In some ways, people you meet on the internet and the people you know in person are similar, yet in other ways can be quite different. I guess, the anonymity that is associated with the people you meet on the internet can prevent any true friendships from being formed. On the other hand, perhaps the not knowing of the other person's identity may encourage you to be more open about yourself and to share personal problems that you may not ordinarily feel comfortable telling a friend you know in person.
Also, before the MSN wave hit our shores, I remember using ICQ, which sounds like "I seek you". It worked the same way as MSN, and was probably one of the pioneer IM programs.

No comments:
Post a Comment