Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Video games

I didn't attend the lecture again today. Yes, I know I'm slack... BUT I'm doing another summer semester course and it started this week, AND already there's an assignment due tomorrow for that subject. So my schedule for this week goes like this: 10am to 12pm 1501ART Lecture, 1pm to 5pm 1801ART Workshop, 5:30pm to 9:30pm Work. I'm going to be so spent by the end of this week! Anyway, I know that is not a valid reason for skipping class. But since there's no lecture notes posted on the web, I'll just write whatever I know about video games (which isn't a lot unfortunately).

When you mention video games, I think of game consoles hooked up to TVs, not computer games (played on PC) or arcade games. So, my first experience with video games would probably be when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I can't remember what it was called, maybe it was the first generation Nintendo consoles?! Anyway, my favourite game was Battle City. I would bug my dad to play the 2-player game with me all the time (I'm an only child) and each gaming session would last for ages because it was so addictive.

My next game console was a few years later and it was the Nintendo 64, but the only reason I bought it was to play some SuperMario go-kart game. The graphics on the N64 were heaps better than the first game console I had. Then I bought the first generation Sony Playstation again just for one game, but I can't remember which one now. I probably only played with both game consoles less than 10 times each, mostly because it wasn't very fun playing alone. Currently, I have an XBox sitting in my living room that I haven't touched since the end of semester one holidays. Again, there is a huge improvement in the graphics and also the feel of the game controller.

As you can tell, I'm not a huge gamer and easily lose interest. However, I can still appreciate the dramatic changes in video games over the years and I'm sure it will continue to improve in all areas.

No comments: